Mission Detail

The church has been in the Monterrey Area since 1922 but as you can imagine if you know the history of Mexico, the first 20 years were rocky. Religious persecutions of all kinds took place beginning in the late 1920′s. It wasn’t until the 1950′s that the first district was organized here. Our actual mission, the Mexico Monterrey West Mission was formed in 1994.

Our mission consists of twelve stakes and two districts. In Monterrey, which is in the state of Nuevo Leon, the mission includes six stakes. The rest of the stakes are in the state of Coahuila. Three stakes are in Saltillo. Two stakes are in Monclova. Piedras Negras has one stake with the two districts about an hour away from it to the south Nueva Rosita and to the northwest Acuña. Both Acuña and Piedras Negras are border towns with Texas.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Güero Companion

This week has been so awesome! Tuesday I went to the offices to receive some training and I got to see some of the missionaries that were with me in the MTC. It was awesome getting to share experiences and talk about how we are adjusting to missionary life. My Spanish has been really improving Im starting to not have to concentrate so hard on translating and starting to just understand. 


Some of the best things about a guero companionship is that we never run out of people to talk to us but also we never really know for sure if people just want to talk with us because were white or if they really are interested in the gospel. And even though me and my companion are both white whenever we ask someone to pick who they want to say the prayer they always say the guero.... Yeah even I guess I'm so white that Im starting to make my comp look Mexican. So many people here are clowns! Their everywhere! I don't know who came up with clowns being a fun thing for kids birthdays but its just wrong!

Mexico makes everything 6 feet tall. And because I'm just over 6 feet my head gets to meet quite a few door frames, roofs, and swamp coolers. I probably hit my head a good three times a day. I've got a permanent goose egg and it grows more and more each day. I need to learn to duck. 

I hope you all watched conference! If you think watching 4 hours of conference in english is hard you should really try spanish. It was pretty awful! I knew most of what they were saying but it just wasn't the same when they didn't have the same voices and their mouths were out of sync. Luckily for the Sunday sessions I got to watch it in English! 

Today we got to go to the temple. I was a little nervous because it was all in Spanish but it was awesome. I never wanted to leave! It's so peaceful and relaxing. I hope that sometime during my mission I'll be able to go through with someone for the first time.

Elder Ahlmer


Dad,

This week was absolutely amazing! Read the talk the fourth missionary. I read it and set goals of who I am going to become. It has literally changed the way that I think about everything. I am going to do everything that I can to become the fourth missionary. I am going to the temple today and feeling the love of God. I know that God wants and know the very best for us and once I know that the only logical thing to do is completely submit myself to his will. I know its going to be hard and not everything will go perfectly but I'll tell you this from now on I truly am completely 100% dedicated to him. Thank you so much for you're amazing example that you have set for me. I can't tell you enough how much it helps to know that you've done this and how much it has helped you.

Dad watching priesthood on Saturday made me miss you so much. All of those times that you basically forced me to go. And the time you sneaked us into that priesthood session without tickets, I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. One of my biggest regrets so far is the night before I left when you came into the room and tried to talk with me but I just couldn't stay awake. I wish so badly that I could go back to that time and slap myself awake! 

I love you like crazy!!
Elder Ahlmer

No comments:

Post a Comment