Mission Detail

The church has been in the Monterrey Area since 1922 but as you can imagine if you know the history of Mexico, the first 20 years were rocky. Religious persecutions of all kinds took place beginning in the late 1920′s. It wasn’t until the 1950′s that the first district was organized here. Our actual mission, the Mexico Monterrey West Mission was formed in 1994.

Our mission consists of twelve stakes and two districts. In Monterrey, which is in the state of Nuevo Leon, the mission includes six stakes. The rest of the stakes are in the state of Coahuila. Three stakes are in Saltillo. Two stakes are in Monclova. Piedras Negras has one stake with the two districts about an hour away from it to the south Nueva Rosita and to the northwest Acuña. Both Acuña and Piedras Negras are border towns with Texas.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Hot Hot Hot


This week was so hot! I guess I wasnt counting my blessings when it was raining because without the rain everything is 10 times hotter! We didnt even try and connect our hot water heater because we took cold showers anyways! I guess its tradition here that whenever its crazy hot outside they decide to serve us the spicest food! I made it three weeks avoiding eating anything even a little spicy but this week just about every meal my tongue was on fire! During one of our meals my companion threw up because it was so hot.... That was pretty interesting. 

Turns out we have an area pet! We have a little lizard that lives in our starewell and sometimes we see him if we are lucky! Hes probably a good 4 inces long we havent gave him a name yet but well get on it. 

They just changed the rule that investigatorns now need to attend church 5 times before they can be baptized before it was just 2. It hasnt really made a difference for me because they changed it the second day I was here but it been weird for my companion to adjust to. But we have some amazing investigators. This week 6 of them have committed to baptism either on the 14th of october or the 20th depending on how many weeks they have attended church. Im so ecxited for them. One of our investigators Maria Guadilupe has been sharing the gospel to her friends and family! Its been awesome because sometimes she will come along with us to lessons with her friends and she ends up teaching her friend and testifying to her! Sometimes I wonder if Im the missionary or if she is. 

My comanions name is Elder Robinson. Hes a pretty cool guy and we get along most of the time but sometimes things can get a little heated. We didnt live the same kind of lives back home so our personalities kinda clash a bit but we get over it pretty fast and move on. Hes from Ceder City and has been out for 10 months now. 

Today my comanion left with another missionary that came in the same time as him to Immigration to fugure out some Visa stuff so today has been my first day with a companion that speaks absolutly no english.I was so nervous that I woudl just be lost all day but honestly it has boosted my confidence so much. If I dont know a word I know enough Spanish for him to be able to explain what it is and he can at least understand what I say back to him. 

I hope all is going well in the States!
Love 
Elder Ahlmer

No comments:

Post a Comment