Mission Detail

The church has been in the Monterrey Area since 1922 but as you can imagine if you know the history of Mexico, the first 20 years were rocky. Religious persecutions of all kinds took place beginning in the late 1920′s. It wasn’t until the 1950′s that the first district was organized here. Our actual mission, the Mexico Monterrey West Mission was formed in 1994.

Our mission consists of twelve stakes and two districts. In Monterrey, which is in the state of Nuevo Leon, the mission includes six stakes. The rest of the stakes are in the state of Coahuila. Three stakes are in Saltillo. Two stakes are in Monclova. Piedras Negras has one stake with the two districts about an hour away from it to the south Nueva Rosita and to the northwest Acuña. Both Acuña and Piedras Negras are border towns with Texas.

Monday, September 9, 2013

Am I in Mexico?

Hey everyone!

So this week was my first week in Mexico. It has been crazy! I stick out like a sore thumb here! I mean missionaries get enough attention as is walking around in a white shirt and tie with slacks in 95+ degree weather; but add on crazy white skin, red hair, and speak English here, and you might as well be a marshan! people stare me down like no other! Living here for a week has helped me appreciate how clean the States are! The whole city is just covered in trash. Its pretty sad because the mountains here are way cool! It has rained everyday I have been here so far and when it rains here its not like Utah, when it rains here it really pours! All the streets flood and its impossible to get anywhere!

The food here is actually really good but the eating schedules are different. We have a small breakfast at 7 every morning then we have our big meal or La Comida at 2 in the afternoon. The church set up a system for members to feed us la comida every day which is really nice because we don't exactly have any time to cook! And then we don't eat dinner until around 9 to 10. So basically I'm hungry 24/7. They have the Trix cereal here has the shapes like they used to! I didn't think that they made them like that anymore! Maybe they don't and the cereal that they sell here is just really expired..... Well either way it tastes better here!

My companions name is Elder Robinson and yeah hes white..... I guess I lied about only having native companions! Hes pretty cool and its nice that he can speak English or I don't know what I would do! Maybe I should clear up some things that I thought I knew before I came here. No I guess I wont have all native companions. I haven't been chased by any dogs theres quite a few dogs here but not so many strays and they're all either Chihuahuas or pit bulls! Theres no in between!

The the day I arrived here in Mexico I was sure of one of three things either, they didn't teach me Spanish at the MTC, they don't speak Spanish in Mexico, or I'm not in Mexico! I was so lost the first few days here! They talk like their mouths are all on fire! All I could do was smile and nod! I don't know what I was expecting when I came here but they speak Spanish and nothing else! I guess I was thinking that I would give my lessons in Spanish but the rest of everything would be in English! I'm still waiting for at some random moment everyone in Mexico to all start laughing and start speaking English. I hope it comes soon!

Elder Robinson and I opened a new area this week and its been pretty interesting. We had no information on anything! No idea where the church was, when it starts, no idea about anything! So we started from scratch. The first day was basically all contacing and sharing a quick message about what we believe in. Well Elder Robinson did I just smiled and nodded. But now we have three investigators that seem pretty interested! Two of the families came to church yesterday. That made me feel like what were doing here is actually helping people.

I had to give my first talk in Spanish yesterday. If you guys thought I was nervous for my farewell you have no idea what I looked like for this talk! I considered running out the door but I figured that wouldn't leave the best impression to the ward and investigators.

Well that's the update I hope all is well!

Elder Ahlmer

No comments:

Post a Comment