Mission Detail

The church has been in the Monterrey Area since 1922 but as you can imagine if you know the history of Mexico, the first 20 years were rocky. Religious persecutions of all kinds took place beginning in the late 1920′s. It wasn’t until the 1950′s that the first district was organized here. Our actual mission, the Mexico Monterrey West Mission was formed in 1994.

Our mission consists of twelve stakes and two districts. In Monterrey, which is in the state of Nuevo Leon, the mission includes six stakes. The rest of the stakes are in the state of Coahuila. Three stakes are in Saltillo. Two stakes are in Monclova. Piedras Negras has one stake with the two districts about an hour away from it to the south Nueva Rosita and to the northwest Acuña. Both Acuña and Piedras Negras are border towns with Texas.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Having a Sick Day for the Fence Climbing Elder

Hey everyone!

Sorry I didn't write Monday we got a call Sunday night at 10:30 that Monday isn't pray because were going to the temple again on Wednesday. That news shocked me a bit because I needed a Pday pretty bad! But it just made the first week of this change seem like forever! This week should go by quickly though! 

Last Tuesday we had changes. I was pretty nervous to see if I would be sent somewhere else or if I would have a new companion but we both ended up staying the same probably because I still have another 6 weeks of training. But that was still a pretty exciting phone call. 

This past Wednesday Elder Robinson and I finally got lost. We were going to a Hermanas house that we had never been to and we were already late we are supposed to eat at 2 and it was already 2:15. Conveniently Elder Robinson forgot the map... We kinda knew the general area but yeah it was a bad idea. The second bad decision we made was trying to cut through the university. The schools here are like legit prison! There completely fenced in and have bars on every window. We found and entrance and decided to cut across thinking there has to be another exit somewhere close. We were pretty wrong. We wondered around the University for a good 25 minutes before we found a little hole in the fence we squeezed through. We ended up on the side of this crazy busy street and just decided to walk along the sidewalk in the direction we thought it was. As we walked we started to recognize more and more things so we figured we were on the right path. But the street we were following went up and over another street and the sidewalk ended and there was no way we could walk along the side of the road because people drive crazy here. We found this tiny trail that went into these trees and decided it was better to take it. We  followed the path through all this tall grass it was basically like walking through a jungle. At the end of the path a big fence blocked us from getting to the other side but we knew her house was on the other side so we jumped the fence. When we got on the other side we just managed to time it perfectly so that a big group of like 20 people got to watch two crazy Americans in white shirts and ties hop a fence that led to this jungle thing. We got some weird looks. But at least we finally found the hermanas house and we were only an hour an a half late! 

This week I must have gotten some bad food because I was sick for a good 4 days. And being a sick missionary is just awful! Walking around in the hot sun all day when you aren't feeling good just isn't pleasant for some reason but luckily that only lasted for a few days and I'm better now! 

Sunday was a pretty rough day. I woke up to Elder Robinson telling me that I was supposed to speak in church this morning I don't think Ive ever woke up so fast in my life! I jumped up and tried to put something together before we had to leave at 9. When I finally finished most of my talk we left to go pick up Maria Guadalupe. The night before we talked with her about the importance of prophets and talked about Joseph Smith. We showed up to her house and she told us that she just wants to stick to her catholic background. That was like a punch to the gut. After 8 weeks of teaching her it was hard seeing her turn away from the gospel. Were planning on talking to her tomorrow to see whats going on but who knows. Then I had to go to the church and give my talk that I was crazy nervous about. Luckily because the bishopric was being changed they all gave their testimonies so there wasn't time for me to speak. I was kind enough to tell them that I didn't mind too much that I didn't get to give my life changing talk. But the rest of the day was just kinda blue. But things are better now! 

Elder Ahlmer

No comments:

Post a Comment