Mission Detail

The church has been in the Monterrey Area since 1922 but as you can imagine if you know the history of Mexico, the first 20 years were rocky. Religious persecutions of all kinds took place beginning in the late 1920′s. It wasn’t until the 1950′s that the first district was organized here. Our actual mission, the Mexico Monterrey West Mission was formed in 1994.

Our mission consists of twelve stakes and two districts. In Monterrey, which is in the state of Nuevo Leon, the mission includes six stakes. The rest of the stakes are in the state of Coahuila. Three stakes are in Saltillo. Two stakes are in Monclova. Piedras Negras has one stake with the two districts about an hour away from it to the south Nueva Rosita and to the northwest Acuña. Both Acuña and Piedras Negras are border towns with Texas.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Getting ready for Mexico


This week has been so amazing. I can't believe in 5 days I'll be in Mexico! I can't believe that I've already been here over a month. I swear every day feels like a year but every week feels like a day.
I fly out of Salt Lake at 8:30 so I'll be able to call you and talk to you guys from around 6 until then. I might be able to call again in the Dallas airport but I don't know how long my layover will be. 

This week I have really learned how to put all my trust in God. That as I teach the spirit will tell me the thing that I need to say and will let me know what I need to say to the investigator. On Monday we had an English fast. It was a great learning experience. It's nice to know where I'm at I surprised myself in how much I know but I learned how much I truly have to learn. On that day we taught Armando which is really just Hermano Albah. The Spanish just wasn't coming at all it was pretty horrible but I realized that it was because I was focusing more on what I was going to say next rather than focusing on what they were really saying and what Armando needed to hear most. Later on in the day we had TRC a 40 minute lesson that we teach real volunteers about the gospel. I told myself that I wouldn't thing about what I was going to say until after they had stopped talking. It was one of the best lessons I have ever taught. I could feel the spirit tell me what they needed to hear and tell me when I should bare my testimony and what of.  I loved it. I've never been able to speak so well. 

On the other hand.... I'm starting to believe that I have sleep walked every single night for the past 5 weeks. Apparently one night Elder Clark saw me sleep walk three times in the same night! I feel so bad for them but I can't help it! 

Yesterday was quite the day as well. It started off with Elder Lockwood spraining his ankle in basketball. Then I went to the dentist. It was so weird hearing music again. I couldn't focus! After that Hermano Zullo and Hemano Albah assigned Elder Ward and I to lead the discussion of a book of Mormon chapter. We picked Alma chapter 26 I really encourage you to read it its an amazing chapter! The only catch was is we have to do the whole thing in Spanish! I'm nervous to do it tomorrow! We had out last Tuesday night devotional last night and it was amazing! Elder Neil L Anderson came and talked to us about love and sacrifice. One of my favorite things he told us was "What sacrifices have you made to be able to do the things you love." I instantly thought of my mission. The sacrifices that all these missionaries have made their time, schooling, friends, family, just the world. They've all sacrificed all these things to go and do something they know to be more important. You don't give up something you love for something that you don't care more about. We all know how much joy bringing the gospel around the world to all these people that would never have the chance to hear it any other way. It was raining really hard on the walk back from the Marriot center and everyone got soaked on our suits mines hopefully on the way to the cleaners as we speak! 

I know that there is no place I would rather be then here in the MTC growing closer to God each day. I can't wait to go out and spread the word to the people of Monterrey Mexico. I know that we are all being blessed daily by God and all we have to do is ask for them. Ask to have God open your eyes to how many blessings we are all receiving and I know we will all be humbled.

Love,
Elder Ahlmer

No comments:

Post a Comment