Mission Detail

The church has been in the Monterrey Area since 1922 but as you can imagine if you know the history of Mexico, the first 20 years were rocky. Religious persecutions of all kinds took place beginning in the late 1920′s. It wasn’t until the 1950′s that the first district was organized here. Our actual mission, the Mexico Monterrey West Mission was formed in 1994.

Our mission consists of twelve stakes and two districts. In Monterrey, which is in the state of Nuevo Leon, the mission includes six stakes. The rest of the stakes are in the state of Coahuila. Three stakes are in Saltillo. Two stakes are in Monclova. Piedras Negras has one stake with the two districts about an hour away from it to the south Nueva Rosita and to the northwest Acuña. Both Acuña and Piedras Negras are border towns with Texas.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Companion Elder Ward


Elder Ward from Las Vegas
Hey mom! I just wanted to let you know that I am getting the dear elders and I love seeing them! I've never been so excited for mail in my life! Things are going great here! I'm loving every moment of it. I am learning so much Spanish so fast I know that the gift of tongues is real. I've easily learned more Spanish over the past 7 days then I ever could have learned more than I could ever have imagined. The spirit here is just amazing. It's so cool to have over 2500 missionaries around you all commited to the same purpose as I am. They've keept me so busy here I didn't ever have time to be home sick.
Monday was the first day it really hit me that I wont be seeing any of you guys for the next two years. It was a really hard day for me. I started getting worried that I wont be able to keep up this intense schedule for the next two years so monday night I prayed for strength to be able to continue. I know that God answer prayers. The next day (tuesday) was one of the most amazing days I've had in my life. First thing in the morning we taught our investigator Hermana Ferrera. Previous to tuesday I was focusing all of my attention on trying to translate what she was saying to me and reading what I had written down to say next. But this time I went in there with no script just a few scriptures and some key words I needed to know. This time I taught with the spirit. I could feel it so strongly showing me the direction I needed to take the lesson. I understood everything she said and I knew how to put into Spanish the thaughts that I wanted to share with her. Through broken Spanish we were able to feel the Spitirt and teach her the Plan of Salvation.We talked for 40 minutes but it felt like we were in there half of that time. In just 7 days I am able to carry on a 40 minute long discussion in Spanish with someone I don't even know. Now tell me that the Gift of tongues isn't real. I don't think I could do that in English let alone Spanish. I learned that not everything I should be be focusing on is the language that I need to learn how to effectivly teach with the power of the holy ghost. I have grown more in thus past week then ever before.
After we taught her the lesson we had an increadible class talking about the doctrine of chirst. Hermana Zullo our language teacgher that has yet to say one word of English to us gave one of the most powerful lessons of the doctrine of christ that I will never forget. We went through 2 nephi chapter 31. Words cant describe the feeling that I had during this lesson.
And finally the most direct answer to my prayers was the tuesday night devotional. All 2500 missionaries that are in the MTC went to the Marriot center. Brother Richards a former member of the 70 gave an amazing talk about dedication in the mission field. He showed us a previous elder holland talk that said "When we sufffer or are in pain, stand tall, because you are standing with Jesus Christ. How can we expect our lives to be easy when the most perfect man that ever walked the earth lived a life of heartache and pain."
I knew that this was the answer to my prayers. There are people in Monterrey Mexico that are waiting their whole life for us to bring them this message that brings everlasting joy.
The work that I do over the next two years will echo for eternity.
Be the missionary to match the message.
These two quotes that were spoken last night haven't left my mind.
I love you all so much! I love hearing from you guys It can make my entire day! I miss you all like crazy be there's no place I would rather be.
Sam, I want you to know that I'm praying for you and I wish so much that I could be there with you as you go through this opperation.
If you could please send me like 6 Pasley ties and another pair of pants. Also I forgot to grab that sewing kit. Sorry I'm making you guys send all these packages I just know I wont be getting the in Mexico!!
Also if you could log on to my facebook and post "Hey everyone this is Zack's E-mail address and his mailing address he would love to get any letters or E-mails from you guys!" or something along those lines ask Sam she has a way with words ha ha.
I love you all so much and I can't wait to here how things are going in the real world!! I'll send you pictures if I have time later today. Elder Gillhouse is in my district and he's a lot of fun!



Bridger!

The MTC is going great I'm loving it here! Ha ha you've got the family shaking gene when you speak! My legs turn into jello!! I have taught the real people we did it last week and this week! It was amazing! I loved it but the first time I was terrified!! I can't wait for you to be here in the MTC learning what I am! It truly is amazing! I wouldn't trade my time here for anything in the world!! I love my companion Elder Ward is a really great guy! Yes he can be slow at times but I'm sure I do things that drive him crazy! Its like we're married but we can't ever be apart and we didn't chose each other!! I love you like crazy! I think about you everyday and I'm praying for you! \

Love Elder Ahlmer


Savannah!

Thank you so much for your letter! It made my day! I loved hearing about how you're doing and don't worry I'm praying for you every day as well! I finally got to go to the temple today and I felt really comforted about your brain testing! I love you so much! I can't believe you're thinking about going on a mission this makes me sooo happy! I honestly wouldn't trade the time that I've spent here for anything in the world! The Spanish is coming along nicely! I can understand anything anybody says and I can mostly put my thoughts into broken Spanish now! And yes I have been dreaming in Spanish quite a bit ha ha! I love you more than you can imagine! And I'm always thinking about you! 

Love 
Elder Ahlmer

No not yet! I might not be able to get it until Friday because my district leader in in Vegas today and getting his visa and the rest of our district goes down tomorrow to get ours!! I'm so excited!!! Texting dad may be a problem....... ;) I'm so glad to hear that Sams doing better how about Savannah!? You do have other kids ya know!! ;) This week was another one for the books! It has been amazing last night we got to hear from Richard G Scott!! He gave us an amazing talk on prayer that there are thee answers to prayer a warm feeling = right decision, Uneasy feeling = your decision was wrong and no response. When God doesn't respond he is putting his trust in us that we can make the correct decision on our own and if we by chance make the wrong choice he'll let us know! It also gives us a chance for our faith and character to grow. He also told us that when we pray for an answer and don't receive one immediately don't just sit there waiting for an answer go out and do something about it!! God may be waiting for us to step out in Faith and he will give you little pockets of inspiration to guide you along your way.  I've been praying to be able to be exactly obedient this week. I received an answer. Every Sunday night we watch a movie like Characters of Christ or some other talk or church film. And this Sunday I was planning on going to see the Testament but it ended up being full so I scrambled into a random room we didn't even know what was playing and the talk becoming a missionary came on by Elder Bednard he also was the talk Characters of Christ. This talk focuses completely on not just going on a mission but becoming a real missionary of Jesus Christ. That night I made a promise to God to be exactly obedient. The next morning during personal study I have been reading the book of Alma. I came to Alma 57 all about the stippling warriors. It talks about their success being due to their exact obedience to the commands of Helaman. Next we taught our investigator Rosa I've never been able to speak Spanish as well as I did during that lesson I knew exactly what scriptures she needed to hear and what answers she needed the spirit was so strong! I know God blessed me with the gift of tongues because of my willingness to obey!


Love, 

Elder Ahlmer



Me and my companion Elder Ward and a picture of my roomies Elder Ward, Elder Clark and Elder Lockwood
The Bunks


Left to Right - Ahlmer, Lockwood, Clark and Ward - Hump week, 3rd week in MTC

No comments:

Post a Comment