Mission Detail

The church has been in the Monterrey Area since 1922 but as you can imagine if you know the history of Mexico, the first 20 years were rocky. Religious persecutions of all kinds took place beginning in the late 1920′s. It wasn’t until the 1950′s that the first district was organized here. Our actual mission, the Mexico Monterrey West Mission was formed in 1994.

Our mission consists of twelve stakes and two districts. In Monterrey, which is in the state of Nuevo Leon, the mission includes six stakes. The rest of the stakes are in the state of Coahuila. Three stakes are in Saltillo. Two stakes are in Monclova. Piedras Negras has one stake with the two districts about an hour away from it to the south Nueva Rosita and to the northwest Acuña. Both Acuña and Piedras Negras are border towns with Texas.

Monday, November 4, 2013

The Gloria Family

Hey everyone! 

This week was a little different because we had Halloween and Day of the Dead. Halloween is basically the same here as it is in the states. So naturally on Halloween all we planned on doing is nocking doors. People were a little disappointed with our costumes.... Day of the Dead wasn't quite as big as I thought it was going to be. Its kinda like our Memorial Day, everyone just visits their ancestors and they have sugar skulls all over the place along with the same things to honor their ancestors. Nobody really painted their faces I guess thats something more people do in the South. We went to a menos activo house that night and ate this type of bread that they only make during this time of year that was really good! We ate it with some weird hot chocolate but it was good! 

Im still sleepwalking just about every night but its has been a little more mellow except for Thursday night. I guess I yelled something and ran into the the room tripping over a bunch of chairs and tables. I don't really remember it but I've got some solid bruises on my knees so its hard to argue! 

My comp and I are getting along really well and Im just counting my blessings because I know it wont always be like this with every comp I have! It's so weird being with someone 24/7 when you've never met them before! Whenever we got home for the day I make sure he takes his shoes off outside because man I didn't know someones feet could ever smell that bad! He could use that stuff as a weapon! I guess we don't have to worry about being kidnapped anymore because all he has to do is take of his shoes and everyone will pass out. He kinda gets a little crazy at night time. Its like the second we get home for the day his brain just shuts off. I just hurry and shower and get into bed as fast as possible ha ha. I guess I cant complain too much I wake him up just about every night sleepwalking!

We worked a lot with menos activo families this week and that went pretty well. Its pretty crazy to see all the people that the week they got baptized was the last week they ever attended. We met this family that is really cool. We call them the Gloria family because all of their names are Gloria. Theres The Grandma and mom and daughter that own a store just in front of their house. Their daughter has 5 years and she reminds me so much of Addee. Ive even slipped and called her Addee once! She always has so much energy and is just going 100 miles an hour. We brought them to church this sunday and trying to get her to sit still was nearly impossible! I finally let her use my puzzle that I have to teach the plan of salvation to at least keep her distracted. But they liked church and we are going to make sure that they keep coming! 

I was lucky enough that Craig got to come down to Monterrey a few weeks ago to work on the temple here. Naturally my mom gave him a huge package to bring with! I don't think she realizes that they have stores here too ha ha. But I really appreciate the snacks that they don't have down here! Craig took us out to dinner which was really nice of him. It was crazy funny watching him try and tell the taxi driver where to go in English. Im pretty sure he scared the poor guy for life! It was great hearing about the states! Its weird to think that life is actually going on up there! 

Keep me updated about whats going on!

Elder Ahlmer

No comments:

Post a Comment